Overpayments may be taken as a credit on Line 5 of your next withholding tax return. The return on which a credit is claimed must be accompanied by a brief explanation of where the overpayment occurred in order for the Department to verify the overpayment. If filing electronically, please complete the credit claimed information before submitting your return. If a refund is preferred, Form IT:RE-2WH Application for Refund of Income Tax Withholding can be obtained by submitting a written request to the Department. The written request may be sent in MAT under “I Want To” then “Ask A Question”. Original IT:RE-2WH forms are required and photocopies will not be accepted. Refunds generally take anywhere from 10 to 12 weeks.