Where to apply-
- Click Businesses (along top left in dark blue)
- Certificate of Compliance (last option in first column, bottom left)
- Request a Certificate of Compliance (link within paragraph)
- Please Read: Important Information Regarding Certificate of Compliance and Special Notes (in red)
- Request a Single Certificate of Compliance
- Fee is $10(with an additional $4 service charge)
- Payment Options: American Express, Discover, Master Card or Visa
*Sometimes the taxpayer may not know the 6-digit Secretary of State ID. They can enter all nines in that field, but it must be in the correct format, 999-999. Also, if they do not have a FEIN number, they can do the same, but must be in correct format, 99-9999999. In order to ensure accuracy in verifying the entity for compliance, it is not recommended that a request be made without the proper identifying numbers for the entity. Either the correct FEIN or SOS ID must be on the application*
Certificates of Compliance are issued if the Department verifies that an entity has filed all returns required to be submitted and paid the taxes as shown due as payable on those returns.
If an entity has not filed all returns required to be submitted and not paid the taxes as shown due as payable on those returns, the certificate will be denied.
Disregarded entities requesting a Certificate of Compliance must provide their owner’s information (name, FEIN) in order for the Department to be able to verify the income tax filing requirements for the disregarded entity have been met, since the disregarded entity’s income is reported on its owner’s return for income tax purposes. Failure to provide the owner’s information for a Certificate of Compliance request made for a disregarded entity is the number one reason a request for a Certificate of Compliance is erroneously denied.